Did you know that research has shown one-third of remote workers don’t get any face time with their teams? Missing out on that face to face connection can be detrimental to employee engagement and team connections. Once each employee has an item in their hand, explain that they are now going to try to sell it to the other members.
- Over the past 10 years, I have led remote teams for small and large companies across three continents.
- It will open everyone’s minds for a productive meeting.
- To give you some inspiration, we have listed 17 virtual icebreaker activities you can deploy within your remote team.
- These should be a mix of fun, random, and difficult questions.
- Give everyone time to work independently and have time for sharing with the larger group.
Ask the person shown to the right of them to start the circle and list one thing they are grateful for about that person. A virtual circle of appreciation allows your employees to recognize each other and helps them feel more appreciated.
#19. Team trivia quiz
This next set of icebreaker games can be easily adapted for groups of over 12 guests . If you’ve got a massive, massive group , encourage meeting guests to participate in the chat as well as on video. If your virtual meeting attendees aren’t warmed up, they won’t volunteer ideas, ask questions, or get engaged with what you’re talking about. If you’re a course creator, they might tune out—or worse yet, lose interest in your teaching altogether.
Ask everyone in your team to display an object and tell a story about it. It could be how you found it, any sentimental stories behind it, or something funny. You could hold up something cool you picked up on holiday, a framed picture, or something less meaningful. The beauty of this game is that people decide what to share and have full control over how much they share. Working remotely can sometimes cause the days to blur together. A daily just-for-fun TINYpulse survey can help break up the monotony and help your employees feel more connected. A week or so later, follow up and ask them to create a headline for what you’ll be doing in 10 years.
What is a Virtual Icebreaker?
It will open everyone’s minds for a productive meeting. People can trade as many times as they want, but they have to read each card they get before they trade. All charades manuals agree the game cannot be played without lots of laughter and yelling. We played this one during our Swoogo offsite a couple years back, but you can turn it virtual pretty easily. Give shoutouts to some of your favorites to keep it interactive.
- Guests will feel more welcome, and afterwards, you’ll have a room full of calm, engaged professionals who’re ready to listen to you.
- If you want to know more about your team’s performance and feelings in the past few days, an original way of doing it is through this question.
- Luckily escape rooms also exist in an online format.
- Not only are they a great graphic but they provide a really interesting insight into what your audience thinks.
- The whole point of the activity is to ensure that everyone contributes and feels involved.
When the week is over, host an informal virtual meeting and ask employees to share the history behind the recipe they shared and what they thought of the recipe they tried. Ask your employees to schedule virtual coffee breaks with each other.
What are some good icebreaker ideas for remote teams?
They can set the price and have one minute to deliver a sales pitch and one minute to answer questions. If you haven’t done Mad Libs before, it’s a fill-in-the blank story that can lead to a pretty hilarious final product.
What are the 5 major points of virtual etiquette?
- 1) Behave As You Would In Person.
- 2) Keep Track Of Your Mute Status.
- 3) Turn Your Video Off If You Need To Get Up.
- 4) Minimize Distractions.
- 5) Keep Your Background Clean And Professional.
Funny, and there’s a reason it’s a crowd favorite. Your guests get to compete and show off their knowledge. Even when you’re wrong, it’s still fun, because you can see how everyone else voted. But many of us have encountered someone famous, and those of us who have are dying to tell our stories.
Virtual company mural
What’s an even better way to break the ice than any ol’ icebreaker activity? Bonding over food is something humans have done for centuries and icebreakers for virtual meetings Caroo expertly curates this experience with their Icebreaker Box. They also include an icebreaker activity for you to make things even easier.
Next, each player will choose a number, and the facilitator will read the question on the card bearing the mentioned number. The players will take turns answering the selected question. This activity is a perfect icebreaker for recalling folks’ names as it involves multiple introductions of the players. To play this game, each participant shares three sentences about themselves. The lead player may twist or omit a detail of a true story to make that one sentence untrue or can completely fabricate a fact. The rest of the participants guess which of the statements is a lie.